Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Resolutions?

So many times, with a new year comes New Year's Resolutions.

Yet, what can I do to change myself this year? Nothing.

What amazing strength, what new-found goodness in myself can control the bad habits, attitudes, and thoughts I struggled with the previous year? None.

There is nothing I can do and nothing I can change in my own strength, power, or persevering goodness, except committing every attitude, thought, action, and word to Almighty God. He is the only one who can change me, the only one who can make a wretched sinner like myself any godlier this year.

So then, let us commit ourselves to the Lord this year, surrendering everything to the Potter's gentle hands. Let us be like clay, allowing ourselves to be molded and shaped, slowly yet surely, into the perfect likeness of our loving Heavenly Father. When we do this, we will be amazed at the results.

With David may we say,

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence or do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of my salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit." (Psalm 51: 11-12)

Discussion Questions:
* What areas of your life need shaping and molding this year?
* Have you been trying to change yourself recently, without the help of God?

Growth Activity:
* Ask the Lord to reveal what areas of your life need to be surrendered to God this year. Prayerfully examine your life and write a list of emotions, attitudes, words, thoughts, and actions in your life that are not pleasing to the Lord. Commit these things to the Lord, asking that the Lord would mold and shape you to be more Christlike this year. Keep a journal of how God is changing you throughout the year, as you continue to commit yourself to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment