Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rattlesnake Mountain and Lake

Last night, my family and I drove to Rattlesnake Mountain to see if there were any hiking trails. We were pleasantly surprised to find out that there was a trail right next to Rattlesnake Lake as well as the mountain. (It was only about 7 minutes away from our house...what a blessing!) It was a beautiful setting with mountains in the background, a stunning lake in the foreground and some lovely foliage all around us. Here are some of the pictures Ari took.


Rattlesnake Mountain!


This is not Rattlesnake Mountain, but one of the surrounding mountains...maybe Mount Si???

Picture of Rattlesnake Lake and a surrounding mountain...with clouds moving in.

Charity, sitting on one of the stumps next to Rattlesnake Lake.

The beautiful color of Rattlesnake Lake!

Boo sure was excited to run around in the dirt/sand!



Then there was the fun job of catching Boo! :)


Of course, being in Washington, we would see a recycle bin on the trail.

I love this picture that my sister took of a daffodil!

Walking the trail!


The history of Rattlesnake Lake was also very interesting! In the picture above, where the stumps and water are, a town used to thrive in the early 1900s. The town was called Moncton (as you can see in the picture below.) On higher land, there was a dam called Masonry Dam. Although the dam was watertight, water began to leak through the surrounding hillsides like a sieve and within two months had flooded the town of Moncton in 1915. Rattlesnake Lake is what's left of the town.




Family Picture!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Makenna,

    What beautiful country surrounds you! I love the pictures Ari is taking so please thank her for me. She is quite the photographer! The history you shared of Moncton was very intriguing. It was such a picture of what happens when we cherish sin in our lives - we think it is safely locked away and we are in control of it, but it is silently seeping into every area of our lives until one day it overtakes us. The scary part is often we don't even see it coming. It is so gradual at first it seems harmless. Psalm 66 shows the importance of confessing our sin so we can have an unhindered prayer life:

    16 Come and listen, all you who fear God;
    let me tell you what he has done for me.

    17 I cried out to him with my mouth;
    his praise was on my tongue.

    18 If I had cherished sin in my heart,
    the Lord would not have listened;

    19 but God has surely listened
    and heard my voice in prayer.

    20 Praise be to God,
    who has not rejected my prayer
    or withheld his love from me!

    Thanks for the reminder today of how deadly "cherished sin" is. How grateful I am that we serve a God that does not withhold His love from us! But is certainly is clear how He feels about sin we hold on to. I won't forget that illustration!

    I hope you all are doing well in your settling in process. It sounds like you have made a lot of progress in making it "home". Thank you for your continued updates - it is wonderful to see you all even if it is in pictures!

    Much love to you all,

    Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful reminder, Aunt Meryl! Those verses from Psalm 66 would definitely be excellent ones to memorize! I hope you have a spectacular day!

    Much love to you as well,

    Makenna

    ReplyDelete